Saturday, July 21, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies



I use the recipe on the bag of Chipits chocolate chips from Hershey.  Their recipe makes 4 dozen cookies which is way too many so I make half a batch, which is what I'll detail here.  I cook on parchment paper to prevent flavor transfer and make cleanup a breeze.  I have one ceramic cookie sheet and wish I had two.  For the second dozen I use a pizza stone. I don't know why cooking on a ceramic surface makes better cookies but it does, it also takes a little longer. I took the butter and an egg out of the fridge to warm.  A warm egg shell is softer and less likely to leave bits of shell in the egg. The butter needs to be creamed so it must be soft first.

 Put two racks in the middle of the oven with enough space between for your mitted hands. Preheat oven to 375º. Ingredients:


1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup flour
1 cup Chipits chocolate chips (or your favorite)


Cream the butter and slowly add the brown sugar, then the white sugar.  Add the vanilla. (I bought a liter bottle of Vanilla Extract for $32 from www.VanillaFoodCompany.ca  and was very pleased with the products.  I don't know if they ship outside Canada.) Add the egg. When the batter is uniform add the salt, baking soda and flour. When uniform add the Chipits and mix till uniform.  Drop onto  parchment paper if you have it or a cookie sheet will do. Bake about 12 minutes for metal cookie sheets and 20 minutes for ceramic. They'll burn at the back of the oven first. They should be golden and crisp right through for the most satisfying result.









No comments:

Post a Comment