Friday, March 9, 2012

Cajun Chicken Ragout


I had to use up some fresh tomatoes and we had curry the other night, so I decided a vegetable ragout would be nice.  I picked up mushrooms, a zucchini and a green pepper.  I already had an onion and a carrot. I put a tablespoon of flour in a plastic bag and added some Cajun spice and shook my chicken breasts to coat them.  Then seared the breasts on one side, turned them over and popped them in a 375º oven for 25-30 minutes. Started potatoes for mashed and diced up an onion.

I fried the onion till golden then removed the onion from the pan.  Next I fried the zucchini to a nice sear and removed from the pan. Next I fried up the mushrooms and removed them from the pan. Finally I put a sliced carrot and the diced green pepper in the pan, when they were sweated I added back the onion, zucchini and mushrooms.  I added the diced up tomatoes and a bit of salt.  I wanted to stop the searing so I added an ounce of chicken stock.  That got the tomatoes softening and releasing water.  I sprinkled a little instant blending flour over the dish and mixed it in to cook.  The chicken was ready resting and potatoes I mashed with butter, milk and a bit of sour cream.

I plated the ragout over top of the cajun chicken breast with potatoes on the side.  Chives to garnish.  Fern said, "When are you going to put out your first cookbook?"  It was good but I'm not ready for a cookbook yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment